Pirut: Edit -> Repositories mock-up.

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Tue Jul 10 07:30:24 UTC 2007

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
>> You're missing my point here... the idea _ISN'T_ "how does the UI mock
>> up match with the use cases".  It's more "determine the set of use
>> cases.  Based on them, work on the actual interface".  You _start_ with
>> the use cases, not the mockup.
>
> I agree. I was just checking out those use-cases, which have been
> implemented.
>
> By the way would it be better if we listed out the use-cases on some
> Web page, since a mailing list does not seem to be a very good way to
> maintain such a document? If yes, should I do it on the Fedora wiki,
> or my blog is good enough?
A wiki page would be a good idea.
1. List use cases.

  A) Jim is getting more involved in Fedora and wants to enable the
  updates-testing repository so that he can be involved in testing
  updates.  Also the disable case here.

2. Categorize the use cases (novice, power users)
     A) novice.

3. Map cases to features.
    A) Enable/disable repositories.

4. Select the target audience for the application (Novice ?, Power User?
or both)
5. Select the features to implement based on target audience.
6. Do a mockup
7. Code the tool.

>> If the vendor is providing it via an RPM, then the user just installs
>> the RPM.  They can even do so right from the browser.  This is more the
>> case where they say "the repo is at http://some.site.com/path/to/repo"
>> and you then have to go configure it yourself.
>
> So a 'Add' dialog with:
> Repo ID:
> Repo Name:
> Repo Baseurl:
> Mirrorlist:
> ..etc..
> ....would be fine?
>
>> 4) $vendor provides a repo file on their website and would like to have
>> it be easy for end-users to add that to their configs
>
> This seems to be interesting. I can think of 2 options:
> a. Provide a way by which the user can simply copy-paste the URL of
> the RPM published on the site, and the tool automatically handles the
> rest.
> b. The user downloads the RPM and there is a way in which one can ask
> Pirut to do:
>  $ yum localinstall <package>.rpm
In system-config-repo i have implemented a feature where you can paste
and url to to repository rpm or a repo file
and then it is getting downloaded and installed after doing some checks
and prints some  warnings, because the is some security
issues by adding new repos.

Tim