Virtualization things.

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Tue Jul 10 11:02:23 UTC 2007

On Di Juli 10 2007, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> VirtualBox is based on QEMU, right?  Can you tell us what features it
> has that makes it distinctive?  (I mean in the free version, not
> interested in proprietary features).

it uses Code from QEMU but afaik they use their own approach to
virtualization, which may be faster. Also currently the GUI works a lot
better than virt-manager for me. It will become more interesting, when it
supports a snapshot tree and cloning. Currently it supports only linear
snapshots. Also, you can run vmware Images directly with the current version,
but maybe QEMU can this, too. If you want to try it, I can provide you a
working srpm for the current version.

There are also two big disadvantages in VirtualBox, imho. One is they use
strange build system, that has no stable releases. And the other is, that
there seems to be not "install" target to install it properly in a system.