Virtualization things.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 14:17:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 11:43:34AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Otto Rey wrote:
> >- Is somebody working on Virtualization (KVM + QEMU) Performance?
> > Maybe Upstream? Some time ago kqemu (qemu accelerator) was released
> > under GPL 2 license. Any plans to include in fedora? Or it is
> > already included/merged under qemu name?
>
> I can't find anything about kqemu & its status w.r.t. the upstream Linux
> kernel.

It isn't upstream & not built as part of the QEMU rpms in Fedora. If you
compile / install it from an alternative source, libvirt/virt-manager will
detect it & make use of kqemu if you don't have KVM available

> KVM is in the upstream & Fedora kernels, and uses QEMU code to do device
> emulation.  Of course, that requires that your hardware supports
> virtualization, but that will become increasingly common in the next
> year or two.  For performance issues with KVM you should ask upstream
> (eg. on kvm-devel mailing list,
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kvm-devel).
>
> >- It is posible to include VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition
> > - GPL v2) in Fedora repo's? Any problem with Legal Stuff?
>
> VirtualBox is based on QEMU, right?  Can you tell us what features it
> has that makes it distinctive?  (I mean in the free version, not
> interested in proprietary features).

It merely ues QEMU as its device model. Its pretty similar in concept to
VMWare Workstation from what I can see. It tries to provide a self contained
easy to use full virtualized solution. It dosn't need any special hardware
support, but does require custom kernel modules.

> There's a project to abstract away the differences between
> virtualisation technologies so that, for example, the same command line
> and graphical tools can be used to manage Xen, QEMU, KVM (so far, others
> coming later).

It be desirable to support  VirtualBox in libvirt at some point if its
popularity increases / or if there is already demand. It should fit in
with libvirt concepts pretty well based on the cursory examination I've
done of its capabilities.

Dan.