http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/SecondaryArchitectures

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue Jul 10 17:05:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 17:19 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 10:19 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > Hi Fedorans,
> >
> > I've made some small changes to the SecondaryArchitectures draft.
> > It has been added to the schedule for voting at FESCo this week.
> >
> > It can be found at :
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/SecondaryArchitectures
>
> It would be happier if you'd left the discussion on the same page,
> rather than moving it to
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/SecondaryArchitecturesDiscussion
>
> I feel very strongly that allowing partially-failed builds to be shipped
> without _any_ intervention from the package maintainer is a mistake.
>
> My experience is that the majority of the time when a package fails to
> build on one architecture but not others, that is actually a generic bug
> which could bite on all architectures -- not an arch-specific bug. It's
> just that some bugs aren't 100% reproduceable, and show up in some
> circumstances and not others. We should at least _glance_ at failures.
>
> I'm only suggesting that the packager should need to _look_ at the
> failure before filing the required ExcludeArch bug and pushing a 'ship
> it anyway' button. I'm not saying that we should force them to start the
> build from scratch again like we do at the moment.

I agree.  This is the largest objection I have to the current proposal.

Additional questions are:

Does FESCo have to ack the Architecture Leads?

What exactly constitutes the buildsystem?  E.g. if koji is running on a
different distribution, it's not building the packages with the same
toolset that the primary architectures are on. (I realize there is a
chicken/egg scenario here).

How are Secondary arch releases suppose to go about getting official
"Fedora" status?

Are torrents/URLs to Secondary arch releases to be linked from the
fedoraproject.org website assuming they are granted Fedora status?

josh