Squid 3

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jul 17 13:27:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 03:31 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jeffrey C. Ollie <jeff <at> ocjtech.us> writes:
> > Sounds more like a candidate for F9 to me - the F8 feature freeze is set
> > for 28 August 2007.
>
> But if there's beta releases, they could get into Rawhide right now, and
> gradually upgraded to the final. That's what we're doing for KDE 4.

If a squid3 package is developed and is parallel-installable with the
squid 2.x packages that'd probably work.  However, I think that squid is
enough of a niche product that the 3.x wouldn't get enough testing
before F8 to completely replace the 2.x version.

Also, is the schedule for squid 3.x really that firm?  There are 3.0
pre-releases available but the last one was issued in May, the
pre-release before that took 6 months, and before that it was 3 years in
between pre-releases!  It looks to me like squid 3.x will be ready when
it's ready and we'd be trying to rush it to try and get it into F8.

The situation with KDE 4 is different because it will be receiving lots
of attention and any major flaws should be found quickly.

Jeff