rsyslog is in F8

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Jul 18 11:27:48 UTC 2007

Peter Vrabec wrote:

>>> You won't have running system log daemon until you restart the system or
>>> run service rsyslog start manually.
>>>

>> I'd say that since sysklogd is erased, rsylogd should be automatically
>> enabled and started. Yes, I know the packaging recommendations, but I
>> think that in this case an exception should be accepted.
>>

> I agree, but I don't know any nice and secure way we can do it.
shipping an /etc/init.d/rsyslog with default options set to enabled +
service rsyslog start in %post is not OK ?
> Since we replace sysklogd in rawhide and rsyslogd will be installed during fresh
> F8 installation I don't see this is a big problem.
    You make the assumption that rawhide users will know about the
replacement and activate rsyslogd manually. I bet most of them will
blindly do yum -y update <insert your favorite other options here> and
cry afterwards. Do not assume that they are subscribed to fedora mailing
lists. Most of them are not. Or at least almost none of those I
personally know in the RLUG community, to be more correct.