NOTE: Please publicize any license changes to your packages

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sat Jul 21 19:48:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 07:30 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 14:45 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > The Fedora Engineering Steering Committee would like to remind maintainers
> > that a license change in a package is a very serious event - it has as many,
> > if not more, implications for related packages as ABI changes do.
> >
> > Therefore, if your package changes license, even if it just changes the
> > license version, it is required that you announce it, whether on this list
> > or fedora-devel-list.
> Yet more bureaucrazy.
>
> > Please contact FESCo if you have any questions.
> So, the new FESCo is going to act as the "Fedora License Police"
>
> Sorry, but I can't deny to consider this development unhelpful.

FESCo felt the need to codify something which should be a matter of
common courtesy. I wonder why that's the case (no I don't really).

I for my part find this very helpful because it works against some lib
or other dependency drawn away from under my feet due to a non-announced
licence change.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759