WTF⁈ ShowOnlyIn=GNOME

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 01:43:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:34:09 -0700
"Christopher Stone" <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you please clarify?  How is it any different if a system has one
> user or one hundred?

I can have a handfull of gnomeusers that only want gnome apps like
gedit.  I can have a handfull of kde users that only want kde apps like
kate.  I can have other "power" users that make use of things like
gnome-menu or the kde equiv to see /all/ items.  I don't want to
needlessly clutter the gnome user's menus with 10 different editor
choices, or even 2.  Likewise others.

> If a sysadmin requires everyone to use Kate as
> their editor (for some hypothetical reason), then the menu item should
> show up no matter what DE any one of the users chooses to run.

If the sysadmin is requiring it, the sysadmin will be able to force it
in the menus, using something like sabayon to setup a desktop and
enforce the policy.

> I'm not sure what a "user controlled system" means.

Where the user is the admin and is in control over what applications
are installed.

> Also, I don't understand your argument for item C.  If someone wants
> to install every single application then I would guess that this same
> user would also want to have these applications show up in their menu.
>  Why would someone who installs every single application only want a
> subset of those applications in their menus?
>
> Is it really correct to assume that someone who installs all
> applications is not intelligent and we need to think for them?  This
> is Microsoft philosophy.  Do not try to force a user into using her
> machine the way *you* think she should.

Most often those that install "everything" are the ones that put no
thought into what they actually want.  They give up and just install
everything, and then complain when the menus are too cluttered.

It's not like we haven't played this game before.  While what we have
now may have a few bugs, and a few ShowOnlyIn may need to get converted
to DontShowIn or some such, it's a far sight better than the chaos
we've had before.  And yes, some tools like gnome-menu should probably
learn to override/ignore these things and show what it would look like
on a gnome login.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora