Blog post about package management (aimed at fedora)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:18:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 11:08 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> 1. there's a lot of code b/t here and there. Is it worth it?

I think it's important problem to solve.

> 2. It complicates rescue mode, b/c now either the code has to know how
> to talk to both the direct sources and the daemon or we have to use (and
> maintain) different tools.

No, I don't think that's valid. Distro tools like yum can still be run
by people who use a "command window" like normal and point and click
tools talk to the daemon which blocks until the power-user has finished
being geeky :-)

> 3. great ANOTHER daemon running, how lovely.

Nope, with system activation we only need to start this when a user is
trying to _do_ something, and then we can quit when there are no updates
scheduled or not in an installer.

Richard.