Blog post about package management (aimed at fedora)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 15:31:42 UTC 2007

Richard Hughes (hughsient at gmail.com) said:
> > 1) query metadata (download from internet)
>
> Starting a service takes a few ms.

To handle the 'start()' signal, sure. But it depends on the service
itself as to when it's ready. I'm mainly just wondering about system
activation as an appropriate API for any service that takes a non-trivial
amount of time to initialize.

> > 2) query installed packages
>
> If the metadata is already okay it should be really quick. Or do I
> misunderstand your point?

... which would require some sort of daemon/automated task to make
sure it's up to date. But we're off in the weeds now.

Bill