Blog post about package management (aimed at fedora)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Jul 27 15:35:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 11:38 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > > Starting a service takes a few ms.

> > > If the metadata is already okay it should be really quick. Or do I
> > > misunderstand your point?
> >
> > ... which would require some sort of daemon/automated task to make
> > sure it's up to date. But we're off in the weeds now.
>
> How so ? Isn't that exactly what yum-updatesd is supposed to do ?

if you have a running daemon(yum-updatesd/yumd), why not just use it as
a persistent daemon rather than depending on dbus to start it each time?

Also  - it lets us work with the portion of the market who run servers
and like the idea of a daemon they can query for pkg information, but
don't run dbus.

We turned dbus off everywhere we could - it just used ram and didn't do
anything for me running a webserver.

-sv