RPM roadmapping

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Jul 27 16:09:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 12:05 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 10:33 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > We need to get to where we're doing a lot of small
> > transactions rather than one so that things like power failures aren't
> > catastrophic.
>
> That would be a step backwards in all but the power-failure scenario.
> Conceptually, the transactional part of rpm is is a good thing. Now
> I know we're nowhere close to ACID, but maybe we can improve on that
> instead of making it even worse.

Well, it would also be good if we could get a bit more state on where we
are in the transaction and record that somewhere as much as possible.

It'd be nice to know that if we're past stage X that bits are on disk
and we just need metadata, or somesuch.

a bit finer granularity and instrumentation at the stages a pkg goes
through during a transaction would be helpful to verifying our state.

-sv