RPM roadmapping

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Fri Jul 27 23:33:53 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 15:40 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Not everybody is on rpm-maint list and we'd like to hear the wishes of
> (Fedora) developers/packagers too. So: what have you always wanted to do
> with rpm, but wasn't able to? Or the other way around: what you always
> wished rpm would do for you? What always annoyed you out of your mind?

I don't know if this can be done now, or if at all, and I am not a
developer or even really a packager, so this may be something way out in
left field.

BUT, upon saying all that, is there a way to create, make, or use some
sort of restore point, to get rpm back in shape if a library or
something gets out of wack?  Maybe a rpm --backup option that can be
used to backup rpm at a certain point.  Then somehow it can be brought
back to that state, even if it's a tar'd file, gzipped or whatever?
Reason to have it that way is due to rpm not being functional or allowed
to do anything because some library or whatever got screwed up, and you
have to reinstall the OS instead of just a quick restore.

Ok, ugh, as I got back and read what I wrote, it sounds stupid haha.
But I guess what I am trying to say, is when the rpm db or whatever
(like a library file that makes rpm unusable at all) gets borked, is
there a state that rpm can be in, or whatever, to get it back to a
working state at least until you can have rpm figure out what packages
are installed again and up to par?  Maybe I am asking this in the wrong
way?  I know other users have had these problems before but never really
saw a way to fix it, cept for when rpm can be used to rebuild the db,
but in this case, you can't even do that.

LOL I'll go sit in the corner and shutup, eat a chip and watch the
show :P

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY