RPM roadmapping

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Jul 28 20:09:42 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 00:20 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I know I'm opening up Pandoras box here but what the heck, it's Friday
> > and I'm feeling slightly bored...
> >
> > With RPM 4.4.2.1 fresh out and 4.4.x branched off to maintenance mode,
> > time to start looking forward to next major release. While the focus
> > will be largely in cleaning up and streamlining the codebase, it can't
> > realistically be all about just that
>
> User (as opposed to administrator) installs in their home directories. I
> could run say Mozilla Firefox extracted from a tarball but having a
> similar capability in RPM itself would be nice.
>
> RPM should also recognize and use library files I have installed through
> other means.

-ENOTSANE

It does not make sense to have rpm chase down paths which may or may not
be available at any given time. Let alone be able to maintain and verify
them. (think security updates)

If it is not in the rpmdb then rpm doesn't know about it. I like that
rule, it's hard, it's fast and it's simple to understand.

If the problem is making it possible for users to install more software
then we can pursue other ways to do that.

-sv