RPM roadmapping

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 30 19:50:42 UTC 2007

Robert Scheck wrote:
> Hello Rahul,
>
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Pyrpm is described as "PyRPM is an experimental project to look at rpm
>> package management". It is a prototyping tool. Not a implementation meant
>> to be used by users currently unlike Yum (which I think is what you are
>> referring to as pyyum).
>
> okay, you did never use PyRPM.

I don't know why you want to assume that.  My use is irrelvant to your
question on whether pyrpm duplicates yum and RPM.  Answer: No. it
doesn't. pyrpm is clearly described as a experimental prototype in it's
homepage at http://www.jur-linux.org/pyrpm/. That's the first hit in
google btw.

  I played with pyrpm and it looks acceptable
> for different actions and unfortunately I played just less with pyyum which
> is included there (sorry, I'm to lazy to verifiy whether it's really called
> pyyum) and it also could be an interesting way.

It is called yum and not pyyum which would a redundant name since the
only existing implementation of Yum is in python. If you are a Fedora
user, the fact the name is yum should have been obvious.

  Reading this and reading
> further on at the list, it already sounds a bit as there's no interest to
> walk *really* a new and radical way regarding RPM. Why? What is preventing?

A fork did occur because people have different opinions on the right
path. Distributions will eventually decide one way or the other and we
can all hopefully have what we wanted.

> When looking back e.g. to soft dependencies, I remember that they just were
> refused for obivious reasons by individuals having the right position at
> Fedora (or Red Hat). You maybe treat this as flame, but this is what the
> feedback from that time looked like.

Panu did mention that he was considering soft dependencies in rpm-maint
list.

https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-maint/2007-June/000330.html

Many people both Red Hat and non-Red Hat folks have been expressing some
concerns over soft dependencies.

Rahul