Package Management Blows Goats (use cases)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Jul 31 09:56:20 UTC 2007

Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 09:51 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>>
>> Suzanne wants to open a word file. She opens the software finder tool
>> and types "office file" into the search box. A list of software appears,
>> with OpenOffice being the top entry. She clicks the OpenOffice entry to
>> highlight it, and clicks "Install now". Suzanne is not an administrator,
>> but because she is locally logged in and the package is from the "fedora
>> GPG signed repository" the root password is not required. A notification
>> area icon appears with a downloading icon and the package manager is
>> closed. When OpenOffice is installed, a libnotify popup tells Suzanne
>> that the software has been downloaded and is now ready to use.
>
> The search requires much better metadata than we probably have in
> description/summary right now. Can we use mime/file(1) info to help the
> search.

How about coupling this search and metadata with the application
database provided by Mugshot http://mugshot.org/applications ?
Metadata for each application [1] can be easily edited [2], wiki-style,
it does not include MIME types yet, but I don't see why it can be extended.

[1] - http://mugshot.org/application?id=openoffice.org-writer
[2] - http://mugshot.org/application-edit?id=openoffice.org-writer