Inaccuracy of smolt i586 count - was 586 kernels.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 1 01:03:37 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 01:15 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 07:07:29PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > And even though ppc is not expected to be a frontline arch, only 378
> > > boxes? Makes me feel like having a big share of ppc boxes.
> >
> > Most users won't be reporting anything
>
> Yes, that's the issue with these kind of statistics.
>
> At least for ppc one can get some comparative statistics by checking
> the ratio of ppc to i386/x86_64 iso downloads. The correcting factor
> would show how different the black numbers behind the smolt stats are
> from i386/x86_64 to ppc and use that as a weighing factor for getting
> improved estimators for ppc.

Not really.  Considering that:

1) iso downloads don't take yum upgrades into account, and
2) download statistics in general don't take local mirrors into account

Smolt numbers show the people that voluntarily submit profiles.
Download statistics show the number of downloads that hit the main
servers.  Neither can be used to derive estimators from the other.

josh