OpenSceneGraph

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jul 1 05:57:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 08:17 -0600, Rick L Vinyard Jr wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've several times been asked to upgrade OpenSceneGraph to
> > OpenSceneGraph-2.0 (on rawhide and may-be FC7)
> >
> > So far, there remain a couple of details unclear to me, I'd like to see
> > clarified:
> >
> > * OpenSceneGraph-2.0 is completely incompatible to OpenSceneGraph-1.x!
> > * Packaging, features and all SONAME have changed!
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > * Is there anybody out there who is actively using (esp. developing for)
> > OpenSceneGraph-1?
> >

> Yes. In fact I was getting ready to submit packages for the VTP from
> http://vterrain.org (initially including the libraries, VTBuilder and
> Enviro). I've contacted the author to find out what the plans for
> OSG-2.0 support are, and will follow up when I know more.
OK.

> In addition to that, I have vtgtkmm which is a library of VTP widgets
> for Gtkmm (similar to the WX widgets included in libvtui from VTP).
>
> > * Is there anybody out there who is actively using Producer or who has a
> > package which depends on (OSG-1's) Producer
> > (OpenSceneGraph-2 has dropped Producer).
> >

> I also have osgtkmm which is dependent upon Producer. However, a move to
> OSG-2.0 wouldn't bother me at all. I'd much rather target OSG-2.0 anyway.
OK.

> > Should you answer to any of the questions above with "yes", please speak
> > up ASAP.
The background behind all this:

Do people consider it worth to have OSG-1 and OSG-2 packages in
parallel?

The run-time environments/packages could rather easily be made
installable in parallel (e.g. by introducing a set of OSG-2 packages),
but implementing this for the devel packages would be non-trivial.

For the moment, I've upgraded OpenSceneGraph to 2.0 on rawhide
(replacing OSG-1), ... but I could revert this.

> Just another side note on OSG examples... I noticed that none of the
> data files are included so they run without textures, etc.
Could you bugzilla this issue? Which data files are you referring to?
OSG's sample data sets unfortunately can't be shipped with Fedora, due
to licensing issues.

Ralf