Compiz Fusion?

Hikaru Amano kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 10:37:31 UTC 2007

On 7/1/07, dragoran <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > Like dragoran said, I also agree that ccp is a better choice ..
> > because if we insist in using gconf, desktop-effects and gnome-wm need
> > to do checking whether to load ccp or to load gconf plugin .. plus,
> > the compizconfig-settings-manager requires user to use ccp plugin and
> > it doesnt work with gconf plugin (compizconfig-backend-gconf != gconf
> > plugin) ..
> >
> +1 also using ccp allows us to use the compiz-settings tools and not
> require user to use gconf-editor.
> > for ccp, desktop-effects surely requires patching because the current
> > desktop-effects is using gconf and not libcompizconfig ..
> >
> yes I now.. but what is the compiz maintainers opinion on this?
> krh?

I just emailed him about this .. lets wait for his response

[snip]

> >> this should then be added to gnome-wm to because on login
> >> desktop-effects is
> >> not inolved.
> >>

> > after the patch, the env var no longer requires exporting ..
> it doesn't have to be exported. just call setenv() in desktop-effects.c
> and in gnome-wm start compiz with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz ...

some cards doesnt require the env export (eg: nvidia) .. and for
fglrx, it require a LD_PRELOAD to a library file from fglrx driver
package instead (I heard XGL no longer required .. I dont have any ati
cards , couldnt test it) ..

ref: http://forums.opencompositing.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=758#p6439

aiglx-default.patch and tfp-server-extension.patch already removed the
requirement for  LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT .. so this is no longer a
problem ..

those 2 patches were taken from compiz 0.3.6 src.rpm btw ..

> btw. I would suggest to use --ignore-desktop-hints by default. because
> else compiz uses viewports *and* workspaces at the same time when
> started via desktop-effects ...which is just weird.

about the gnome-wm patch .. aint that need to be applied in
gnome-session rpm?? ..

another thing .
I just added fusion-icon packages into the repo .. fusion-icon is an
app similar to beryl-manager ..

regards
Hikaru
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail