Inaccuracy of smolt i586 count - was 586 kernels.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jul 1 11:19:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 12:21:06AM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 19:07 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 12:14:20AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > I also wonder what the 2.1% i386 are. These can't be true i386, or if
> > > they are they can't be 30x as many as i586.
> >
> > I'd been wondering if those are qemu/vmware/xen or something similar ?
>
> Generally those will report what the host CPU really is, as they're
> "virtualized" but they're still running on the host CPU. Though qemu's
> software mode may be different. I always run with kqemu, and Windows XP
> detects the Athlon 64 I'm running on.

Well, smolt does keep the database and by correlating vendor and CPU
one would get a finer grained picture of the i386 systems. At least
VMware offers a BIOS vendor string pointing to itself.

But since there are ~8% VMware system but only ~2% i386 systems, at
least 3/4 of the VMware systems cannot report i386.

BTW also quite a high value, VMware guests at 8%? Can we detect
xen/qemu guests to have stats on physical vs virtual hosts?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net