Suggestion: Disk Druid changes

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Tue Jul 3 13:55:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,
  As I mentioned in another post, I have been using a technique that at
least for me greatly simplifies moving to and from RAID-1 on any
system.  I do this by installing the system on a degraded RAID-1 array
and then later it is very simple to make the system true RAID by just
adding the missing drive/partitions.

  From the other Fedora 8/9 wishlist post:
  Another thing in Disk Druid that I would like to see is the ability to
install on a degraded RAID-1 array where I declare RAID-1 but then the
second mirror is missing.  I install this way all the time on systems
and then when I add the second hard drive later and place it into the
array, it just syncs.  Want to go back to just a single drive - no
problem.  Just fault the device and remove it.  No complicated
remounting filesystems or anything - very smooth.  This way you're
always on an md device.  I would like to see this actually become the
default.  It makes it very easy to convert a system to RAID-1 later on
if the user would like to do so without any complicated procedures
necessary.

Gerry