Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Jul 3 14:18:39 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Laurent Rineau <laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 15:44:19 Gerry Reno wrote:
>> > Hi Valent,
>> >   I have to agree with the decision to drop beagle as default.  On my
>> > desktop I have many thousands of files and documents that I would like
>> > beagle to catalog but it was consuming huge amount of system resource
>> > when it was running trying to do this.
>>
>> +1
>
> Why don't you engage a little of your time and track which files cause
> this problem. I also have thousands of files and I don't see any
> performance issues using beagle. If you would contribute and get
> involved with hunting these bugs you experience than we all would
> benefit.
> I'm volunteering my time and my other resources to fixing beagle bugs
> - but I just don't experience any since Fedora Core 5 (then there were
> plenty of bugs). If you find which files are causing you problems
> please mail them to me and I'll report bugs and work with beagle team
> to fix them.
>
> There.

I think we all appreciate that you do take the time and fix beagle right
up so that one day we may all reconsider using beagle and have it
installed and enabled by default.

However, just because you do take that time doesn't mean we all have to.
Some of us may just take enough time to yum -y remove \*beagle\*, like
me, and that's all they ever do with beagle.

In fact, I'll yum install the latest and greatest beagle now, and see if
it consumes what I find to be too much CPU during the initial indexing.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip