Pirut: Edit -> Repositories

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 4 16:58:24 UTC 2007

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
>>> A merge would be fine to me, but it is mostly about where we want to go
>>> with the package manager in Fedora, do we want a simple tools or do we
>>> want tools with lot of possibilities for the more advanced user.
>
>> Simplicity is a desirable goal and rightly one should strive for it, the
>> question remains would a merged tool ie an extended/improved/feature
>> rich Pirut or a Yumex with possible extensions serve the ends ?  And of
>> course, would at the end the choice will boil down to a single tool ?
>
> In certain cases the idea of a simple packagement tool can lead to
> oversimplification of things.
>
> For example for a very long time in the days of FC2 to FC5 Pirut would
> not work on LANs which connected to the Internet through a proxy.

That doesn't make much sense. Pirut is a new tool introduced in FC5.
system-config-packages which existed in previous versions didn't use
yum, only had the capability to install packages from media and would
have no need to connect to the Internet or use a proxy. Proxy settings
would ideally be system wide and not require per application configuration.

Rahul