Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Jul 5 09:23:16 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:40 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Replying to myself, I see my ~/rpmbuild (which I /happily/ use as an
>> archive) is being indexed with:
>>
>> /usr/lib/rpm/rpmq -q --package --queryformat [%{*:xml}?] /path/to/rpm
>>
>> Apparently it's threaded, because this one happily consuming 100% CPU,
>> happily locking up my funky beryl desktop. Then it seems beagle-helper
>> catches some output because it gets too excited and happily consumes
>> like 20% CPU next to the 100-20% CPU being consumed by the other happy
>> process.
>>
>> Thanks for the reminder, sometime in the future I'll try again.
>
> Please look at this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8P_X8UK2fQ

No.

> is the use-case you are having really a bug?

Yes. If not a bug, it's a feature that makes me not use beagle.

 Beagle has to index files
> in order to make desktop search possible. Every process that actually
> does something uses 100% of the cpu - only issue is how well it plays
> with the desktiop. Beagle should be running a high NICE so it shouldn't
> impact your desktop experience while it indexes files...
> To me your experience with beagle just shows that beagle is working and
> it doesn't show that beagle is buggy and kills your system.

Fine. We have different opinions.

If beagle is unable to nice/renice the child processes it launches then
that is a blocker for me. If it's installed I'll remove it.

Regardless of whether one of us thinks it's either a bug or a feature:
You requested someone to show you how beagle doesn't work for anyone.
I've given you my use case. Knock yourself out.

EOF

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip