dmraid failure/test cases [fc5-7]

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jul 6 15:16:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 01:59:53 -0700,
  Jane Dogalt <jdogalt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Sean Bruno <sean.bruno at dsl-only.net> wrote:
>
> > In a related note, it would be nice if the installer would allow you
> > create a broken raid 1 in the installer, anaconda should definitely
> > warn
> > you and tell you that what you are doing is loopy, but there should
> > be a
> > way to just say, "go ahead if you really wanna".
>
> I thought it was going to be loopy too...
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2006-August/msg00000.html
>
> I might just have to post a 7 line patch tomorrow that implements the
> above...  without using so much as a single loop device ;)

I wouldn't let it create a 'broken' (e.g. in degraded mode) raid 1 device.
You can create raid 1 arrays with only one device rather than with two
devices and one of them missing. It isn't hard to add other devices to
a raid 1 array later.

Letting the installer *use* a degraded array is a grayer area. I think it
would be better to require the admin to modify the array first otherwise
you can have unexpected things happen when people split arrays by failing
a drive, but end up having the failed device get used when the array is
restarted later, instead of the intended device.

I have asked for anaconda to be changed to allow 1 element raid 1 arrays
to be used in the past (188314) and have been turned down.