Video and Keymap Quirks

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Jul 10 13:24:02 UTC 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 14:35 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Richard Hughes wrote:
>>> Sure, that will be done before F8.
>>>
>> Will it, is evdev scheduled for F-8, this the first time I've heard this. Also
>> evdev upstream has told me that evdev currently cannot handle chinese/japanese
>> input, so I think a switch atm is very unlikely.
>
> Ahh, I didn't know this. Is this a long term problem or just a bug?

I don't know when I discussed this with them no details were provided.

>> I'm mainly focusing on normal (ps2/usb keyboards) with extra keys for
>> multimedia and internet stuff. My solution currently assumes that:
>> 1) The kernel generates the correct keycodes for these keys (which is
>>    true for all usb keyboards and most ps/2 keyboards)
>>    For the few exceptional ps/2 non laptop keyboards manual setkeycodes calls
>>    will be necessary, but that will be the case no matter what so for now I'm
>>    ignoring this.
>
> Cool.
>
>> 2) That F-8 will keep using the kbd driver for Xorg, if F-8 will change to
>>    evdev, then my plan needs to be reworked.
>
> Right. Which may or may not be true.
>
>> With this assumptions and the focus of internet / multimedia keys, my simple
>> and short plan is to:
>> 1) Add Linux virtual ps/2 keyboard fake scancode -> keysym translation to the
>>     (default) "Generic 104 keys" and "Generic 105 keys (international)" keyboard
>>     models. This is what the patch in bug 245576 does.
>
> Yes, that seems sane.
>
>> 2) Start patching applications (starting with metacity) to have default
>>     keybindings to these keysyms for relevant actions. Currently atleast for
>>     metacity the default keybindings for multia media actions are empty.
>
> Sure, also sane.
>
>> Notice that 2) is something which will also be necessary once switched to
>> evdev, so the only work which will be thrown away because of me choosing in
>> intermediate solution (in order to have something working for F-8) is the
>> (already written) xkb patch
>
> Then why don't we just merge this now?

With this you mean the patch for 1) or patches for 2) ?  The xkeyboard-config
maintainer isn't sure if he likes the patch for 1), which is exactly why I've
asked you to take a look and vote for it if you like it. As for 2) because of
the lack of progress with 1) I've been spending my time and energy elsewhere,
so there are no patches to merge atm.

> Could it break anything that
> works already?

Assuming you mean the patch for 1) , No not that I know of.

Regards,

Hans