Video and Keymap Quirks

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:29:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:05 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 12:40:18PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 13:31 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > > Great that you're working on this and targeting F-8 with it. Unfortunately
> > > having only scancode -> keycode mappings in the kernel is not enough to make
> > > most keys just work. This also requires mapping to X keysyms and configurations
> > > of applications.
> >
> > Sure, but this is the first part of the jigsaw. For stuff like
> > rfkill-input we need the kernel to _know_ that KEY_FN_F1 is actually
> > KEY_BLUETOOTH. When X switches to evdev (soon?) the keysym problem
> > should be a lot simpler to fix.
>
> Does the kernel have a concept for a key that can be on-the-fly
> configured to individually turn on/off any combination of wlan,
> bluetooth and/or cellular modems?

Err, we can use the setkeycode ioctl to remap the button, but I'm
guessing this isn't the answer to the question you are asking.

> Recent Dell laptops all have a wireless switch. This switch can be
> configured at runtime by dellWirelessCtl (part of libsmbios-bin) to
> individually turn on/off any combination of each of the above.

We could hook this up to HAL (although I'm not sure yet how) but I'm
guessing the most sane thing to do would be to tie it to a hardware
killswitch that killed all the wireless devices for aircraft scenario.

Richard.