package reviews from beginners

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 13 12:51:08 UTC 2007

Could I get some feedback on whether people feel it is appropriate for a
person wanting to get sponsored for packaging to be providing
non-official reviews on any random package ?

Can I just "follow da rulez", pointing out the diversions, so that the
packaging fits Fedora ?  [and state that I have no knowledge of the
software being package ?]

Or should I at minimum understand what the particular package /software
/application is actually trying to do ?

Should I only choose potential packages that are written in a language I
have good knowledge of ?

Can a package submitter submit software written by themselves ?
Even if they can't, can't a patch I/someone add to a package do
~anything~ to a users system ?

For software that is open but may be only targeted for a narrow
audience, or that has not had updates for some years, will a package be
automatically rejected ?

Hope I didn't miss the answers to these queries in the packaging
guidelines; if so please point them out.

DaveT.