Fedora Offline Package Manager (RUM) version 0.0.1 released

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:00:01 UTC 2007

I hereby announce the release of the Fedora Offline Package Manager (RUM) 0.0.1.

This program is meant to enable users who do not have a viable network
connection to manage their packages, ie. install new ones and update
existing ones, through the standard package management framework used
in Fedora.

If you are interested then you can read more about it at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay

This is a beta release and offers the following features:

1. Profile management:
   a. Exporting the profile of the local system.
   b. Importing the profile of another system.
   c. Deleting existing profiles.

2. YumPack creation
   - Although I have tested this to the best of my ability, I would
appreciate if you could try to create new YumPacks and verify whether
the dependencies are being correctly resolved.

To install package(s) from a YumPack, you would need to untar the
YumPack, which is essentially an uncompressed Tar archive, and use
'system-install-packages' to install the RPMs as you would normally
do.

Tar ball:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DebarshiRay/rum?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=rum-0.0.1.tar.gz

Pre-requisites:
If you are using Pirut <1.3.9, then you would need to apply this patch
on /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DebarshiRay/rum?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=pirut-changes.diff

Installation instructions:
1. $ tar -xzvf rum-0.0.1.tar.gz
2. $ cd rum-0.0.1
3. $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
   (Other prefixes are not expected to work. Please bear with it for
the moment.)
4. $ make
5. # make install

Execution instructions:
1. $ rum

Documentation page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DebarshiRay/rum
This is lagging behind a bit, but will be eventually updated.

Bug-reports and comments are to be sent to rishi at fedoraproject.org.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--