rsyslog is in F8

Thomas Swan thomas.swan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 03:15:52 UTC 2007

On 7/19/07, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 04:06:27PM +0200, Peter Vrabec wrote:
> > Matthew Miller wrote:
> /syslog
> > >
> > > Hey, uh, doesn't changing to using rsyslog.conf remove the major
> advantage
> > > of rsyslog over syslog-ng?
> > Hmmm, It use rsyslog.conf.
> > cp syslog.conf rsyslog.conf is done, because we want to keep and use
> > previous configuration. Or do you want your custom configuration be
> > dropped and replaced by default one? :-)
>
> For rsyslog to be a drop in replacement, it should use the same config
> file named the same in the same location IMO.

I agree here. Most people expect restarting syslog to be
either /etc/init.d/syslogd restart or service syslogd restart.

I think if you are going obsolete the old syslog here, and this is a
one-for-one, drop-in replacement, keeping the same service names and the
same configuration file should follow POLS.

The process itself is compiled as syslogd per the upstream package.