SCM SIG Meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:00:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 14:45 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 10:35 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > There will be an SCM SIG meeting on Thursday, July, 26, 2007 @ 19:00 UTC
> > on the #fedora-meeting IRC channel.  We will discuss requirements for
> > implementing exploded trees.  The idea is to make a list of features
> > that are needed from exploded trees and what pitfalls must be avoided to
> > make them viable.  Then a team of interested people can create an
> > implementation to decide if it's viable to create an exploded tree repo
> > or if we should take the more minimal step of implementing the current
> > repo in a distributed SCM.
>
> So the decision that we need exploded trees is a forgone conclusion?

No.  The conclusion that exploded trees offer features we would like is
a foregone conclusion.  The decision of whether we can address all the
pitfalls of doing exploded trees by designing the SCM repo correctly is
not.

This meeting is to identify pitfalls and features so we can try and
design an exploded tree repo that addresses all the concerns.  That
gives us a better basis for deciding whether it's worthwhile to
implement it in our next generation repository.  If we run up against
seven huge concerns that we just can't work around, then it will be
clear we need to abandon the idea.  If we manage to solve all of them,
then it would be strongly recommended to do it.  If we can't solve one
or two minor concerns but manage to solve the rest then we'll have an
accurate list of pros and cons to present about exploded trees.

-Toshio