Fwd: Re: film at 11: kernel update breaks udev.

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Jul 23 14:29:10 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Richard Hughes (hughsient at gmail.com) said:
>> On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 00:55 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>>> Argh.  So why _are_ we doing our own special rules instead
>>> of using the upstream ones ?  This isn't the only time I've
>>> run into something like this with udev.
>> Our udev is about 100x times slower than upstream...
>
> I find it hard to believe it's 100x slower. I've done testing
> of it with most of the not-needed-for-booting rules commented out -
> execution time only dropped from ~5 to ~3.5 seconds.

This may be something unrelated (qemu bug?), but I feel I should mention-

When I boot livecds that I've spun with livecd-creator in qemu, the udev step
takes a painfully long time to complete, and even just hangs a fair percentage
of the time.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?  At some point I'll do a little more
research and file a proper bug.

-dmc