Re: WTF⁈ ShowOnlyIn=GNOME

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 01:34:09 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:57:58 -0700
> "Christopher Stone" <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I should not have disrespected your opinion before, but if a user
> > installs Amarok, then that user should have a menu item for it
> > regardless of what desktop environment she is using.
> >
> > If a user running Xfce wants to use Amarok, then let her.  Do not try
> > to force her into using non-KDE and non-GNOME apps simply because she
> > runs Xfce.
>

> Stop assuming
>
> A) a single user system.
> B) a user controlled system
> C) an intelligent thought about what gets installed (everything crowd?)

Can you please clarify?  How is it any different if a system has one
user or one hundred?  If a sysadmin requires everyone to use Kate as
their editor (for some hypothetical reason), then the menu item should
show up no matter what DE any one of the users chooses to run.

I'm not sure what a "user controlled system" means.

Also, I don't understand your argument for item C.  If someone wants
to install every single application then I would guess that this same
user would also want to have these applications show up in their menu.
 Why would someone who installs every single application only want a
subset of those applications in their menus?

Is it really correct to assume that someone who installs all
applications is not intelligent and we need to think for them?  This
is Microsoft philosophy.  Do not try to force a user into using her
machine the way *you* think she should.