RPM roadmapping

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jul 27 14:36:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 15:40:40 +0300,
  Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com> wrote:

> Not everybody is on rpm-maint list and we'd like to hear the wishes of
> (Fedora) developers/packagers too. So: what have you always wanted to do
> with rpm, but wasn't able to? Or the other way around: what you always
> wished rpm would do for you? What always annoyed you out of your mind?

Since I have switched to using yum with local repostories the following haven't
really been a problem, but since you asked and they bugged me in the past
I thought I'd mention them.

Until the kernel gets changed to allow larger command lines (which might
be pretty soon) it would be nice if rpm had a way to read in the list of
files to process via standard input or a file. I used to have problems
doing rpm -Fvh *.rpm when the number of rpms got to be very large. xargs
won't work because much of the time several updates need to be done at
the same time.