RPM roadmapping

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Mon Jul 30 12:02:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 11:25 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Some automatic cache/copies of all %config files installed, with all
> untouched versions always available. This would be very useful with
> some simple tool to diff the current files(s) wit the backup(s), as
> well as list all locally changed %config files. A sysadmin's dream
> come true :-)

Well, this is exactly what I proposed as my second point in my
initial post on the subject:
    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-July/msg01543.html

But since I got very little to it, I was afraid I was the only one
who sees the obvious advantage of having something like this built
into rpm.

Not only does it look amazingly useful, it also doesn't seem all
that complicated to implement. What I had in mind is say for any
%config file /a/path/to/the/file.cfg, a copy of the pristine file
should be made in /var/lib/rpm/backups/a/path/to/the/file.cfg or
something similar. If we have that, the rest is trivial to automate.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.