RPM roadmapping

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 18:12:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:40:40 +0300 (EEST)
Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com> wrote:

> The more specific you can be, the better - "make it not suck" isn't
> productive. Of course there's no way everything can be done, we want
> the next major release out before end of the decade... Also this is
> not a voting where most votes guarantee implementation, but consider
> it your chance to be heard. I'm listening... :)

Please allow ExcludeArch and ExclusiveArch to propagate into noarch
rpms.  We have a multitude of noarch rpms (like python scripts and
such) that just plain won't work on some arches, but are themselves not
binary.  We have ExcludeArch and ExclusiveArch in the spec file to
prevent them from being built in an arch where their BR or R wouldn't
be met, and we have compose tools that scrape this information out of
srpms at compose time, as the noarch rpm doesn't have this
information.  If it were in the rpm itself it would be much easier for
compose tools to deal with.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora