Future of Yum

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 30 18:17:02 UTC 2007

Evening folks,

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, seth vidal wrote:

> > > yum 3 -> yum 9 -> yum 81 -> yum 6561 -> yum 43046721 -> yum
> > > 1853020188851841
> > >
> > Well 1853020188851841 is very long... :-) Use 3.2, 'til the earth stops
> > spinning. :-) I can think of 3.2.1.0.0 as a starting point :-)
>
> well, we could do 3.e

HAHA! I ever knew, one day RPM will eat all those python programmers (okay,
I already know who owns this domains for a longer time now) ;-)

Panu...now as yum4 and yum5 will be written in C and not in python (IIRC
nobody of rpm5.org would write yum next generation in a script language),
wouldn't it be the perfect time to rip out the python support in RPM? This
would bring us to a bare RPM like you were suggesting it. No HTTP, no FTP
and no python support - what do we need more? Maybe somebody could remove
the perl support, too? When yum4 and 5 goes back to the roots, why not RPM
also?

Unfortunately you all can't see how big my grin is...

...more grin than having face,
  Robert :-D