LiveCD wiping root partition?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jul 31 17:23:00 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Michel Salim wrote:
>> I just did a clean install of Fedora 7 from the live CD onto my laptop,
>> which previously had a Fedora install upgraded from one of the F7 test
>> releases, partitioned as suggested by anaconda (LVM, one swap partition,
>> everything else under '/')
>>
>> When reinstalling, I kept the partition layout and specifically told
>> Anaconda *not* to reformat / (having booted in rescue mode beforehand,
>> and
>> removing everything but /home). Anaconda gave a warning that the leftover
>> files might interfere with the installed system, which gave the
>> impression
>> that those files won't actually be removed during installation.
>
> I don't remember the specific warning, but if it is not clearly
> indicating that unselecting the format option on '/' is not allowed,
> then that is a bug that should be fixed either with better user
> messages, or alternate installation mechanisms.

WOW.  I was wrong.  There is NO such message.  That is a horrible bug.  I may
try to check to see if it's still in the latest anaconda, and provide some sort
of simple patch later today.

Also, to answer your question more thoroughly than my first reply-  Yes, after
the dd, if there is a seperate /usr or other partitions, files are then copied
from / to there.  This is all very related to my turboLiveInst patch which I
recently posted to livecd-list and anaconda-devel.

I'm surprised I don't remember hearing about this bug before.  I had personally
run into the same warning you saw, but that is just a general warning that has
nothing to do with the livecd installer case specifically, and the livecd
installer will stupidly let you just march along with the / fs not scheduled for
formatting, even though it is going to anyway.

-dmc