First impressions of a system update with yum

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Jun 1 08:52:41 UTC 2007

Schlaegel wrote :

> On 5/31/07, Matthias Saou
> <thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
> wrote:
> > Other current thought : To hell with it, format "/" and reinstall from
> > DVD...
>
> This is my normal course of action. I don't want to deal with the
> leftover packages and the missing new packages. I just let Anaconda do
> its job.

This is quite easily dealt with :

Running "package-cleanup --orphans" (from yum-utils) will list you all
the packages currently installed which aren't listed in any configured
repository.

Then "yum groupinstall Base" will show/install the base packages which
you don't have installed, usually because they were added in the last
Fedora release.

Of course, this doesn't remove unused stuff, nor does it deal so
gracefully with configuration changes or even low-level install
changes, for instance if anaconda now chooses different defaults for
LVM layouts, sizes or even ext3 formatting options.

Right now I've gotten back to the office, where my workstation freshly
updated to F7 was waiting at the (new!) gdm login screen.

FWIW, here are the annoyances I've seen so far :
- My gnome-panel didn't start
- I was seeing many denies regarding /dev/nvidia* accesses (yeah..)
-> I disabled selinux and rebooted :-(
- My desktop came up with metacity, I had to manually switch back to
Beryl (probably because of the previous errors)
- My GNOME menu icon is gone. Even if I add a new main GNOME menu to my
panel, it doesn't have any icon. The name probably changed and I'll
need to get a newer theme. *sigh*
- All my fonts look different, in firefox as well as claws-mail...

Note that many of my "annoyances" aren't related to packages
themselves, more to the fact that I kept my /home intact. As always,
there is clearly room for upgrade improvements, but as always... it's
not that easy to get right in all possible scenarios.

Oh, the "yum update" finished OK on my x86_64 after the esound hack,
and on my i386 laptop (Dell X1) it went absolutely fine. I just need to
get S3 working again, as I wanted to start fresh and removed all the
kernel boot options I had in case they weren't useful anymore...

Matthias

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
Load : 0.08 0.54 0.54