First impressions of a system update with yum

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Jun 1 13:59:05 UTC 2007

I successfully upgraded from FC5 to FC6 by having only packages
installed using yum.  Before that I always has a lot of tarball installs
on the system and then upgrading to a new release was just a disaster
every time I had tried it.  Of course the upgrade to FC6 wasn't without
problems, like i586 kernel, and the upgrade breaking in the middle and
leaving a huge number of duplicate packages installed.  So there was a
lot of cleanup to do.  But I'm really encouraged to hear that it looks
like a FC6 - FC7 upgrade is going good without major problems (at least
on 32-bit).  :-)