Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 1 15:16:42 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:

> You know very well that I was not talking about the adding to the wiki,
> but about the to large number of steps needed to get a package in.

I honestly didnt know that very well.

> And for some reason nobody is responding to my point that when in
> updates-testing a package cannot be in comps and thus is invisible to
> those using the tools we advice them to use!

That's a problem that needs to fixed by adding packages to comps when
necessary.

> I'm not saying QA should be bypassed, I'm saying that delaying packages
> for a week to allow testing by a non existent team is silly.

By calling the effort useless you making it come true.

> Maybe that reaction was solicited because it seems that those making the
> rules seem to be disconnected from those doing the work? A typical case
> of manager syndrome.

Testing for functionality is not desirable and shouldn't be in the
review guidelines?

> Factors such as? I thought freedom was the great good which we are all
> working for.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives. There are factors like
robustness in there. If freedom was the only factor we wouldn't have
packaging guidelines which guide and therefore limit packagers freedom
in many cases.

Rahul