Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8. Was [ Re: Very much packages with fc6 tag instead of fc7 in the FC7 tree ]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 17:22:48 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> Actually, many people do network installs.  I have no DVD burner so the
> DVD ISO does me no good.  So I downloaded the boot.iso to load up
> anaconda, and pointed the installer at the right places on the network.
>   Much less downloading as you only update what you need.

For people who do network based upgrades/re-installs......
would it be feasible, and appropriate to provide a package in the F7
repo which contained the F8 installer image as a grub entry for an F7
system at the time of F8 release. So people could install that and
reboot into the installer via their grub menu and do an upgrade via
the installer.. instead of being tempted to do a live upgrade just
with yum. Clever monkeys can do this manually now with some effort to
pull the installer image from the iso. The question is, does it make
sense to make this easier for the general userbase and provide a
package in a timely manner into F7 for the F8 release?

-jef