Automate time zone selection (Was: RFE: use nasa worldwind...)

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Fri Jun 1 22:41:25 UTC 2007

> Several points by various posters

Let me state my point a different way :

I don't wish there to be a regression where the auto-pick-time-zone-
fu takes longer or is less accurate than a human picking the correct
one when a network configuration is encountered that hasn't been
taken into account, or internet access is not available or allowed at
installation time.

Other OS's that will remain nameless have to time out during their
"phone home" install step if there is no proxy or default route
supplied. I wouldn't like that to happen on Fedora just to guess my
time zone.

Maybe I'm the only one that does all OS installs isolated from the
internet, so I'm a corner case.

Charles Dostale