Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8. Was [ Re: Very much packages with fc6 tag instead of fc7 in the FC7 tree ]

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 2 07:14:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:22:48AM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> >Actually, many people do network installs.  I have no DVD burner so the
> >DVD ISO does me no good.  So I downloaded the boot.iso to load up
> >anaconda, and pointed the installer at the right places on the network.
> >  Much less downloading as you only update what you need.
>
> For people who do network based upgrades/re-installs......
> would it be feasible, and appropriate to provide a package in the F7
> repo which contained the F8 installer image as a grub entry for an F7
> system at the time of F8 release. So people could install that and
> reboot into the installer via their grub menu and do an upgrade via
> the installer.. instead of being tempted to do a live upgrade just
> with yum.

Maybe that's what koan does? I haven't used it, but in the
cobbler/koan tandem, koan is used instead of pxebooting a system, so
it probably just does something similar to what you describe.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net