Feature idea: package an installer image as a grub entry before F8. Was [ Re: Very much packages with fc6 tag instead of fc7 in the FC7 tree ]

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Sat Jun 2 07:56:13 UTC 2007

fre 2007-06-01 klockan 09:22 -0800 skrev Jeff Spaleta:

> For people who do network based upgrades/re-installs......
> would it be feasible, and appropriate to provide a package in the F7
> repo which contained the F8 installer image as a grub entry for an F7
> system at the time of F8 release. So people could install that and
> reboot into the installer via their grub menu and do an upgrade via
> the installer.. instead of being tempted to do a live upgrade just
> with yum.

Yeah, while I have done done FTP upgrades, it doesn't feel very safe,
because downloading packages while the upgrade process is running is
quite risky. A network problem or an incomplete mirror, and the upgrade
will stop in the middle.

It would be better if the upgrade was like a yum upgrade (download
first, then upgrade) but with the additional Anaconda upgrade magic.
Could it simply use /mnt/sysimage/var/cache/anaconda for that purpose?
Then they could even by pre-downloaded by the running OS before
rebooting into the Anaconda GRUB entry.

If Anaconda needs to for example do an ext3 to ext4 conversion, it can
mount /mnt/sysimage, download everything it will need for the entire
upgrade process, umount, do the conversion and the mount it again for
the RPM upgrades. Hmm?

/abo