The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jun 2 13:21:30 UTC 2007

On 02.06.2007 12:28, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:25:04 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> [...]  The community has lost control over what used to be a
> community-driven Fedora Extras. [...]

+1 to that -- if Fedora Extras one or two years ago would have wanted to
switch something like koji or bodhi then I'd say FESCo would have looked
at it first before Extras would have started to use it. FESCo further
would have insisted on proper docs, clear rules (discussed by the
community beforehand) and easy procedures.

These days it seems to me some developers simply do some stuff(¹) (often
without much FESCo involvement, not enough public discussion beforehand
and insufficient rules or docs) and contributors have to deal with the
outcome, if they like or not.

Okay, we wanted the merge. I these days think we maybe did it to fast,
as it and all the new tools created a lot of confusion and burden on the
contributors. But okay, we are merged now, and it has lots of benefits
afaics.

So lets deal with it now -- for example by making "contributing to
Fedora easy again, get the community involved better into the decisions
process and make packagers happy again" one of the most important
"Features" for Fedora 8. Otherwise the merge might fail in the end.

Just my 2 cent.

CU
thl

(¹) -- note that up to some point simply doing stuff is great