Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Jun 2 17:39:16 UTC 2007

MS> Not even sponsors have the privileges anymore to intervene in CVS
MS> or buildsys (thanks god the people I sponsor are the FESCo chair,
MS> FESCo members and pleasant packagers who don't cause any trouble
MS> anymore).

Many of us desperately want this; we even brought it up at the last
FESCO meeting but unfortunately the infrastructure just isn't there.
It's the packageDB thing again.  Fortunately Red Hat has hired Toshio
so hopefully something will happen with that in the relatively near
future.  I personally have taken that as a commitment to getting
something done here.

Kevin and I (both community people with no ties to Red Hat) simply
asked for more access and it was granted to us, so I don't see any
institutional denial of CVS or buildsys access.  If you (or anyone
else) needs access to a package they've been locked out of, just ask
for it.  (It should suffice to make a regular CVS admin request and
explain the situation.)  I am not sufficiently informed as to which
types of koji access are available.

MS> [...] after years there still is no team that could step in and
MS> apply emergency fixes.

Well, speaking as someone who has done just that, I'm not exactly sure
what you think is lacking here.

I'm not disagreeing with the entirety of your message, but I think
that perhaps you are misinformed as to the points which I have
commented on here.

 - J<