The community has lost control... (Was: Re: Don't put new packages through updates-testing)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 3 09:30:14 UTC 2007

On 03.06.2007 10:50, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 10:24 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 03.06.2007 09:38, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 08:48 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> I'm actually *wondering* if we should have a "spare time packagers
>> committee" (or something like that) that represents the packagers that
>> do their package maintenance work in their spare time. They afaics
>> sometimes simply don't have the time and the power to get their opinion
>> heard without investing even more of their rare spare time.
> Well, as I repeated said: I consider FESCo to be some sort of parliament
> constituting of representatives and not to be a "board of directors" or
> an administration.

Sure -- but FESCo had a lot to do in the past already and now with the
merge it has even more to do. Even when I was chair I was unhappy with
some parts of how FESCo represented the community and interacted with
it. You, Ralf were one of those that pointed out a lot of problems in
private or in public when needed; but there were more pressing issues
for FESCo, so I found no time to deal with all of them (or better: only
with a few). I assume now with the merge and more stuff to do it will
get even more problematic for FESCo members to deal with all the things
the spare time packagers might bring up.

So it might make sense to split out some work areas into sub-committees,
that can focus on special areas and preset solution to FESCo where FESCo
then can say "well done, we make it so". That way the spare time
packagers might get their opinion heard better.

> [...]

CU
thl