Don't put new packages through updates-testing

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sun Jun 3 21:05:36 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> 1. packages never start, applications do.
>>
>> Pendantic waste.
>>
>>> 2. many applications, when being cluelessly used, only mean they have a
>>> functional "usage()"
>>
>> Which covers base functionality.
>>

> Ralf wrote in reply to this: "<beep> - You apparently don't have any
> clues about what you are talking about."
>
> I do not agree with the beep, but let me stress the point:
> "You apparently don't have any clues about what you are talking about."
>
> What Ralf means with:
>  >> 2. many applications, when being cluelessly used, only mean they have a
>  >> functional "usage()"
>
> And which should be fully understandable by anyone who claims to have
> enough domain knowledge to discuss and decide policies, is that if a
> reviewer just runs app foo like this:
> foo <enter>
>
> That changes then are large the user will see something like:
> usage: foo [opt] <input-file> or <output-file>
>
> Which sure does NOT cover basic functionality.

Right :-). Actually all it proves is that the dynamic libraries loaded
correctly. i.e. something that's already guaranteed to happen.

The things to stress are code coverage, basic functionality, and
especially: anything that interacts with the OS/dekstop such as
   - opening/saving file
   - printing
   - anything that hooks with some Gnome (or KDE) services (keyrings,
search, proxy settings, ...)
   - config files. are they saved in the right place, and reloaded
correctly ?

Where in the wiki should we put this information,
Packaging/ReviewGuidelines ?