Using --excludedocs and --excludepath with yum

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Jun 4 07:39:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:00:34AM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>
> > Also, this macro provides too many warnings at install (due to crash
> > info-install in %post). As I remember correctly someone discussed this issue
> > here (or in formed fedora-extras-list) several month ago.
>
> That's why I hate packages with scripts.  The more we make
> packages active and smart, the more we end up with a
> Windows-like installation hell.

I agree, but some "normal" things (like administering info files,
ldconfig, and creating package-specific users) are unavoidable.

But: the problem with --excludedocs can be solved easily by just
checking in %post whether the info files are present or not.

Are there no guidelines about this?  If not, shouldn't they be made?

I've seen (and reported) this problem already in Red Hat Linux 7.3 (!),
so not mnuch seems to have improved since then in this area.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>